Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."

I was reading a blog the other day and it had this posted at the top, "Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." Mother Teresa

I started to ponder that quote for the rest of the day.  As I was wrestling with this thought in my head, I realized this is exactly what I needed to read.  I have been struggling lately feeling

1) Inadequate in the things that I was expected to do.  This expectation was brought on by myself

and

2) Feeling like the things that I was doing everyday was boring.  I was sick of doing dishes again and I was sick of doing laundry (keep in mind I only have two kids).

Why was I feeling so yuck when everything that I ever wanted was right in front of me?  I was feeling like I just wasn't enough.  I want to do something spectacular I wanted to feel needed and not by just fixing a peanut butter and jam sandwich and then to have it not even be eaten.

The reason why I NEEDED to read this from Mother Teresa is because I was sick of doing the "little" things.  I wanted to feel important by the worlds terms and not by the terms from the people that matter the most.

"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." 


That is it!  I don't have to do great things.  I can just do small things with great love!  I can just sit down with my kids and play tea party or play pretend.  This quote reminds me of a story in the New Testament where Jesus was asked to heal a rich man.  The man sent his servant to bring Jesus to him to heal him.  The servant was told to tell his master how to be healed which was a simple thing.  The master was prideful and didn't do what he was told.  The servant told the master if Christ had told him to do something hard then wouldn't he do it.  Then why not do it if it was simple.  The man humbled himself and then did what he was told and was healed.

Would I be like the prideful master and not do the simple things that the Master has asked?

2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome quote Niesh, I think we all feel like that at times. It is nice to be reminded what is really important in life! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neisha, Its Jael here! Although I don't have kids to stay at home with yet, I've often wonder If I would struggle. There's day's I think, that's what I'm meant to do, and there's day's I think I like working. But in the end Steve and I see the value in having a stay at home mom and know that its a great work. I'm glad you found something that makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete