Friday, October 15, 2010

Preview of Halloween Costumes







This year for Halloween I asked Aspyn what she wanted to be for Halloween. She changed her mind a few times as expected but she kept going back to the idea of being a witch.

Sophy was voted to be a fall fairy. We got both of their costumes at Peekaboo Bowtique. I could not be more pleased with how
adorable the costumes are! They were wonderful to work with and I am so excited to get them dressed up for Halloween.

It was so fun to see Aspyn get so excited to get her costume. The day that it arrived I told her that the mail man may or may not bring her costume today. Well, we happened to look outside the front window when we saw the mail man pull up to the mailbox. I told her that if he pulled out a box then he had her costume. Well, he did and she jumped off the couch and ran to the front door and had to wait for me to open it. She was so excited she ran outside and told the mail man, who was walking up to the gate, "Thank you, oh, thank you so much!" It was so cute to hear. She just kept telling him that over and over again. Well, he started laughing so I thought that I would explain to him that her and her sisters Halloween costumes were in the box. He laughed some more and gave us the box then we thanked him one more time. We went inside and I just couldn't get the box opened fast enough for her. As soon as I pulled out the dresses she had to try it on and she told me that Sophy wants to put her's on too. So as soon as the dresses were on Aspyn grabbed Sophy's hands and they started dancing. Such fun memories. It was so cute. I just thought that I had to share! I am sure that there are other families with similar stories. Kids sure do bring out the fun in life!

I know that a few parents out there do NOT like Halloween and for very valid reasons. Some don't like all of the candy (i.e. hyper children) and others don't like it because of all of the scary/sleazy costumes as well as the cost of either buying or making costumes. I do not like Halloween for those reasons either. Recently I have chosen to think of Halloween as something that I do not dread but to look at it as a time that we get to choose to be something else.

I was at a parable of the princesses devotional and one of the speakers said something that struck my mind and I haven't been able to forget about it since. She stated, "How many of you know a child who loves dressing up?" I thought I know lots. Mainly thinking about my nieces and nephews ( I have 34 counting both sides). "Why do they dress up?" Then she continued to explain that all of us were born with something inside of us knowing and wanting to be those super hero's or princesses.

This is the reason why I have chosen to look at Halloween as something inside of my children and tune into my inner self wanting to be something better, something more, something that I knew I was put on this earth to be and that is to be the best me that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment